Monday, November 9, 2015

Well Dedications part two


This photo was taken at Nhungu. That is a child carrying that bucket of water.
And look at the very little one with her sibling on her back!

11-07-2015 afternoon
The sun was hot and I had gotten pretty burnt standing out in it for more than two hours.  I put on some sun screen, but it was too late.  I am toast.
Juli & Bo receiving their conga
At the next village, Matamba, there was another big presentation, speeches, introductions, and walk to the well.  A woman on the water committee spoke - she seemed very emotional.  They pumped clear water again.  Another success!  The Skillmans and Bishop Yoos and his wife from South Carolina were each presented with congas.
We left that village and were on our way to a secondary school.  First we stopped at a government building where they had made a meal for us of rice, meat, and "Chinese" which looked like cooked collared greens.
I did not participate as much at the third well dedication because I wanted to stay in the shade due to my sunburn.  While standing there by myself, some boys from one building were hollering hello to me in English so I walked over to say hi back and I asked them their names.  One was a name that was not familiar to me, so I can't remember it.  The other boy was named Omega.  I think they were surprised that I came over to talk to them, and once I was there, they didn't have much to say.  When thinking back on it now, it was probably not proper for me to go over there.
That third well was not quite as successful, as the water ran brown.  But, while it may not have looked like a success, the fact that the water did not run clear was an indication that the pump had not been running as often as maybe it should have been.  Hopefully it was a lesson learned and the water will run clear with enough consistent use.
The goat offering is being tied into the back of the truck.
This school well was the last of our dedications.  We returned to our home base where I was lucky enough to nap while the girls went for a walk and the men went to check the remaining seven wells.  They had to take some photos, as was a requirement from the donors, and Bo wanted to assess the contractor's work in the area.
We had supper of rice, vegetables, watermelon, and meat of some sort.  Some were thinking it was the goat from the offering from Nhungu (the first well site) but I asked the local pastor who was dining with us and he said that goat was going to be tomorrow's meal.  Apparently tonight's meat was beef - and it was quite good.
After the meal and devotions, an early bedtime of 9pm was welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment