Sunday, November 8, 2015

Well Dedications

11-07-2015
I did not sleep great. Because of the altitude, I was told, we would not have to worry about mosquitoes and that's why there were no nets over the beds. I heard one buzzing around my ear at least twice.
I got up about 7am and walked around the house. It was very beautiful there on top of that mountain. Once Adam woke up we did another walk about. After breakfast, we went out to dedicate two or three wells.
The first stop was the longest – about two hours – at a village called Nhungu. We sat all in a row while the villagers sat on a hill and watched us. I counted 65 men and 20 women & children. The men all sat in one area while the women & children sat in another area. There was only one group of three that was mixed sexes. They must have been the rebels.
We all had to get up and introduce ourselves to the people there. They gave us all cokes and waters. By the end of the presentation, there were 78 men and 41 women/children. Then we all walked toward the well. On the way, many people wanted to shake our hands and smile and say something to us. Their hands were rough and dry – well worked. Their feet were dry and cracked, and many did not wear shoes. Many that did have shoes were wearing flip flops.
There was one woman who had let her child down for a moment so one of the men in our group could photograph him. I asked her if I could hold the baby; he was just learning to walk, so about a year old. I was missing my kids, as it had been many days since I'd held Wyatt. She agreed happily and let me hold her son. She had him put his hand on my head and then on my chest – apparently a sign of respect to someone older. I tried to communicate to the mother that I had three children by rounding my hand over my belly and holding up three fingers. She then pointed at each of her breasts and put up two fingers to say she'd nursed two babies. I gave the baby back to his mother and as we continued to walk toward the well, I played peek-a-boo with him while he looked over his mother's shoulder. He smiled and giggled at me.
We arrived at the well to have it blessed. The pastor started singing a song and everyone clapped along and joined in. The villagers insisted on us all being inside the gate of the well for the dedication while everyone else circled around. We were presented with a goat. The well was pumped and nice clear water came out into a bucket. Success!














After the ceremony, I tried again to talk to the woman with the baby. She grabbed the general secretary of the southwest diocese to translate. He said her name was Scola Chenelo and that she was his younger sister. She asked Adam to take a photo of us together like we were old friends. I then showed her a picture of Adam & I and our kids from my cousin's wedding a couple months ago and she asked if she could have it. She said whenever she looked at it she would remember me and think of this day. It was so sweet.


I have more to write and I want to add pictures, but it's late and I want to go to bed. Goodnight!



1 comment:

  1. What a nice day you had. I like that even though you do not speak the same language, holding up fingers means the same thing and pointing to your belly, she understands what you meant. Also, the giggles and smiles from babies means the same thing no matter what language you speak. We all miss you and enjoy your updates. I love you and am proud of you two for doing this. Amber

    ReplyDelete